What is Wheatgrass?
Wheatgrass is the freshly sprouted leaves of the common wheat plant, Triticum Aestivum, used as a food, drink, and dietary supplement. Wheatgrass is served freeze-dried or fresh, and so, it is different from the wheat malt. Wheatgrass is allowed to grow longer and taller than wheat malt. It grows in temperate regions in the United States and Europe. It can grow indoors as well as outdoors. Many people grow their own Wheatgrass at home.
Wheatgrass contains multiple vitamins and minerals including:
● Vitamins A, E, C, K, and B6.
Uses of Wheatgrass
Wheatgrass is used as a treatment for a variety of diseases and discomforts. Though its effectiveness has not been proved with regards to some diseases, below are some of the most prominent uses of wheatgrass:
Research suggests that taking wheatgrass powder every day for at least 10 weeks reduces total cholesterol by a small amount, especially in women with high cholesterol levels.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease:
It is believed that freshly extracted wheatgrass juice might reduce the overall severity and activity of the disease.
The nutrients in wheatgrass help remove the impurities and toxins from our body. Once your body is cleansed, you may experience an increase in energy levels and overall health.
Immune System Boost:
Wheatgrass enhances your immune system, making it harder for you to fall ill. A strong immune system will also help you ward off the illness better and more quickly.
Health Benefits of Wheatgrass
High in Antioxidants and Nutrients
Wheatgrass is an excellent source of various minerals and vitamins. It has high quantities of Vitamins A, C, and E as well as iron and magnesium.
It also contains eight amino acids that your body is unable to produce.
Like all green plants, it contains a good amount of Chlorophyll, which is known to have many health benefits.
It also contains various antioxidants, including Vitamin C and E and glutathione.
May Help In Blood Sugar Regulation
High blood sugar can cause a lot of problems, including headaches, thirst, and fatigue. It can also lead to serious consequences like vision and nerve damage and skin infections.
Some studies have found that wheatgrass may be able to keep the blood sugar levels under control. Though such research is limited to animals. Studies are required to determine the effects of wheatgrass on the blood sugar levels of humans.
Related Post: Lemongrass Uses & Health Benefits
May Reduce Inflammation
Inflammation is a response caused by the immune system to protect the body from injury and infection. Though sometimes, chronic inflammation can be caused by conditions like cancer and heart illness.
Some research shows that wheatgrass may help reduce inflammation because it contains the anti-inflammatory plant pigment, Chlorophyll.
Thylakoids Could Help With Weight Loss
Wheatgrass contains thylakoids, and while no studies have proven that wheatgrass itself benefits weight loss, it is believed that thylakoid supplements enhance satiety and increase weight loss.
Though it should be noted that the amount of thylakoids in wheatgrass is extremely low, and the effect of wheatgrass on weight loss needs more study and research.
Wheatgrass Juice Benefits
Wheatgrass juice is the most commonly consumed wheatgrass supplement. Here are some reasons why you should be drinking it too:
● Wheatgrass juice is one of the best sources of chlorophyll today. For full benefit, the juice must come from fresh wheatgrass!
● Liquid chlorophyll has the capacity to get into the tissues and renew them.
● The chlorophyll in wheatgrass juice can also be effective in treating various skin conditions, including itching, ivy poisoning and even infection due to insect bites.
● Wheatgrass juice is loaded with enzymes and amino acids. Therefore, taking a shot of the juice before a workout session will energize your body.
● Wheatgrass juice improves irregular thyroid function, which in turn helps with weight loss.
● Wheatgrass juice can also help get rid of graying hair. Applying it to your hair can also help with dandruff.
● Wheatgrass juice contains high amounts of iron, therefore, it can be pretty effective in getting rid of tiredness.
● Wheatgrass contains complex B-Vitamins and fibers, which help with improving the digestive system.
Wheatgrass for Cancer
Wheatgrass is an extremely effective treatment for cancer, as it contains chlorophyll, which almost has the same molecular structure as hemoglobin.
Thus, chlorophyll increases the amount of hemoglobin, which means that more oxygen is able to get to the cancer cells.
Chlorophyll and Selenium also help build the immune system.
Thus, though wheatgrass as a whole is highly effective as a cancer treatment, its most useful component is the chlorophyll.
Wheatgrass supplements are available in a variety of forms like powder, tablets, and pills. Below are a few recommendations for you to check out:
Wheatgrass powder is exactly what you need if you’re looking for an alternative where you can mix the nutrition into your everyday food.
● Anthony’s Organic Wheatgrass Powder
● Bobica European Wheatgrass Powder
● Dr. Berg’s Wheatgrass Powder
● Triquerta Health Organic Wheatgrass Powder
If you’d rather consume all that enriching nutrition in just one gulp, tablets would be a better option for you. Just swallow a tablet with water, and you’re all ready to go!
● Pines Organic Wheatgrass Tablet
● Amazing Grass Organic Wheatgrass Tablets
Wheatgrass Pills/ Capsules:
Another alternative would be Wheatgrass capsules that you can swallow whole or mix in your drink according to your mood and inclination.
● Sproutman Wheatgrass Capsules
● Pines Organic Green Duo Capsules
If you have a streak for gardening, and would rather grow your own wheatgrass, here are some seeds you can check out:
● Living Whole Foods Wheatgrass Growing Kit
● Todd’s Seeds
Side Effects of Wheatgrass
Just like every other healthy food, wheatgrass too may have some side effects. The most commonly noted side effects of wheatgrass are as follows:
● Stained Teeth
● Loss of Appetite
● Mild Fever
Thus, Wheatgrass has a lot more benefits compared to possible side effects. Yet, you should still be careful while consuming it.