What is oregano?
Oregano is one of the culinary and medicinal Mediterranean aromatic herbs from the Lamiaceae family. Since long it is being used in medicines and cooking. It enhances the flavour and possesses several health benefits. It grows to a height of 50cm tall and posses purple leaves that are 2-3 cm long. It has a very pleasant smell because of the chemicals present in it like thymol, pinene, carvacrol and caryophyllene. It has been found that it posses antioxidants and antibacterial properties.
How Oregano Oil is made?
The leaves and the shoot of the oregano plant are used for making oregano oil. By air drying the leaves and shoot the oregano oil is made. Once the leaves and shoot are dried, the oil is extracted and then it is concentrated through steam distillation.
Best Oregano Oils
Some of the best oregano oils are
- Oregano oil from doing TERRA: It is carefully tested by CPTG quality protocol that is a suitable quality control with minimum heat process of distillation. Because of this, oregano oil can be easily used for therapeutic purpose.
- Oregano oil by North American Herb and Spice: This is one of the highly potent oregano oil. The process of making is very much similar to some of the ancient and best methods for producing oregano oils. Furthermore, this oil is emulsified with extra virgin olive oil that is a popular carrier oil for oregano oil. It is free from chemicals, solvents, filters and pesticides.
- Oregano oil by Zane Hellas: The oregano oil meets the required standards and quality. It is 100% pure oregano oil that contains a high level of carvacrol, is non-GMO and is free from chemicals, It is one of the highly preferred oregano oils.
- Plants therapy oregano oil: reasonably priced oregano oil with high benefits. It is extracted through the method of steam distillation. It is packed in an amber coloured bottle and comes with a euro dropper. It is preferred by many people because of its high antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- Now Foods Oregano oil is pure and organic oregano oil. The oil is made through the steam distillation method from the flowering herb that is dried. It is used in aromatherapy. It possesses high potency and is highly concentrated. It helps in reducing the inflammation level of the body.
Uses of Oregano Oil
The chemical carvacrol and thymol present in oregano oil is the cause of antifungal and antibacterial properties. They prevent the growth of harmful bacteria that can cause illness and infection. It has also powerful anti-inflammatory properties as well as antioxidant property.
Oregano oil for cold: When your body is fighting with cold or flu, anything that eases your symptoms is worth a try. Most of the sniffy people prefer oregano oil. It is highly effective for treating yeast infections, congestion as well as sore throats. It is considered as one of the best home remedies for treating cold. This is because of the expectorant, antibacterial, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic property. Oregano oil helps in the treatment of the cold symptoms as well as the underlying infections.
Oregano oil for acne: Oregano oil posses the antibacterial and antiseptic properties for which it works great for the treatment of acne. It contain carvacrol, which is one of the major active compounds having antimicrobial properties that kill bacteria causing acne, helps in drying the acne lesions and decreases the swelling and inflammation. The oil is mainly beneficial for treating the cystic acne, which is one of the severe kinds of acne that occurs during the teenage years where the ores become highly clogged thereby leading to large pimples and infection.
Oregano oil for warts: Oregano oil is very much annoying that appears in the feet, hands or other parts of the body. It is caused by the HPV virus and is quite painful. Oregano oil can help in burning off warts because of high concentration of carvacrol.
How to take Oregano Oil?
Now when you know the potential uses of oregano oil, you are required to know how to use it. It is available in the form of bottled liquid extract, capsule form, tablet form and wild p73 which is highly potent. Have a look at various ways on how to use Oregano oil.
- Oregano oil for topical treatment: If you have athlete’s foot, then dip your foot in a bath containing few tablespoons of oregano oil. For treating the skin conditions and the nail fungus, dilute the oregano oil with olive oil. Put 1 drop of olive oil per drop of oregano oil and then apply this mixture to the affected areas.
- Oregano oil is taken sublingually: For this oregano oil is diluted with olive oil. For each drop of oregano oil add 1 drop of olive oil. Then use a sterilized dropper bottle. Then put this drop of diluted oil under the tongue and keep for a few minutes. Then wash with water. It can also be used for gargling with water. For achieving the required antimicrobial properties, you need a dose of 500mg, that too four times a day. So, if you are taking oregano oil sublingually, take it several times so that you get the required dose.
- By inhalation: When oregano oil is used for fighting sinus infections, or any kind of allergies, oregano oil is inhaled by adding few drops of oil to the boiling water. Inhaling the steam helps in clearing the throat and nasal passages.
- Oregano oil in form of capsules, tablets and pills: If you want to reap the antimicrobial benefits, for fighting off acute infections, then you require 500mg per dose and four times a day, then capsules, pills and tablets are the best way. But different brands have a different amount of ingredients. Therefore, it is recommended to follow manufacturers instruction.
Health Benefits of Oregano Oil
Some of the potential benefits of oregano oil are:
- It acts as a natural antibiotic. The most active ingredient carvacrol helps in fighting bacteria. It is also effective for some bacteria that have already gain resistance against the antibiotic.
- Helps in lowering down cholesterol: Carvacrol in oregano oil has been found to lower down the cholesterol level.
- Oregano oil is a powerful antioxidant that helps in protecting the body from all damage that is caused by free radicals.
- It helps in the treatment of yeast infection.
- It assists in the enhancement of gut health and treats diarrhoea, gas bloating and other gut symptoms caused by parasites.
- Oregano oil posses the anti-inflammatory properties because of its active ingredient carvacrol.
- Helps in relieving pain and thus acts as an effective pain killer.
- Posses’ cancer-fighting properties and research have shown that it prevents the growth of cell and results in the death of the cancer cell.
- The carvacrol content of the oregano oil helps in weight loss. Oregano oil serves as an expectorant and helps in making the mucus thin, that is especially required to relieve all symptoms of bronchitis and coughs.
- Oregano oil helps in relieving pain caused by ear infections.
- The oil is highly effective in the treatment of stomach indigestion, excessive acid, bloating and many other stomach issues.
- Oil from oregano is anti-allergic, sedative and anti-inflammatory and thus helps in decreasing the way the human body reacts to several allergens.
- Oregano oil is of high benefit for those who are suffering from skin infections like eczema, candidiasis, acne etc.
Oregano Oil Side-effects
Along with so many benefits oregano, oil use also shows some side effects. Have a look at some of the side effects.
- Sometimes it intoxicates your body.
- Causes certain allergic reactions.
- Decreases iron absorption capacity of the body.
- Posses certain harmful effects on pregnancy.
- May sometimes cause miscarriage.
- Thins the blood.
- Sometimes leads to hypoglycaemia.
- May lead to certain digestive issues.
- Causes inflammation.