What is Flaxseed?
Flaxseed is a valuable industrial oilseed crop. Linseed oil, also known as
Flaxseed oil, also known as linseed oil or linseed oil, is a yellowish oil obtained from the dried, ripe seeds of the flax plant.
Flax seeds are found in basically two colors: brown and yellow (golden flaxseed).
The length of the flax plant is about 3 feet 11 ins.
And the leaves are shiny green, thin lanceolate, 20-40 mm long and 3 mm wide.
Its flower is light blue in color, and its diameter is 14-15 mm, with 5 petals.
And its fruit is a spherical shape 5-9 mm in diameter, with apple-pipe-shaped bright brown seeds, whose length is 4-7 mm.
It’s family name is Linaceae and it’s from Linum Genus and it’s Species name is L. usitatissimum it’s Binomial name Linum usitatissimum.
Uses of Flaxseed
Each part of linseed can be used directly and indirectly in various forms.
- Medicines are made from the oil extracted from linseed seeds.
- Its oil is used to make paints, varnish in wood finishing and lubricants, as well as in the preparation of pad inks and inks for press printing.
- And also used for cooking, making soap and lighting lamps.
- Its seed is used by making a poultice in pimples.
- High quality fiber is obtained from the stem of linseed and linen is prepared from the fiber.
- Flaxseed pomace is used as animal feed for milking animals.
- And due to the proper amount of various plant nutrients in the pomace, it is used as a manure.
- The woody part and small fibers of the linseed plant are used to make paper.
Flaxseed Nutritional Facts
Minerals in Flaxseed
Here is a list of minerals that are generally found in flaxseed but this might differ depending upon where the flaxseed harvested and the weather and soil condition too.
- Calcium 0.126mg
- Iron 0.59mg
- Magnesium 0.40mg
- Manganese 0.256mg
- Phosphorus 6mg
- Zinc 0.45mg
- Copper 0.126mg
Vitamins in Flaxseed
Here is a list of vitamins that are generally found in flaxseed but this might differ depending upon where the flaxseed harvested and the weather and soil condition too.
- Thiamin(B1) 0.169mg
- Riboflavin(B2) 2%
- Niacin(B3) 0.317mg
- pyridoxine(B6) 0.049mg
- Folate(B9) 9μg 2.2% DV
- Choline less than 2%
Fatty Acids in Flaxseed
Omega-3 fatty acids, including alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) are found in flaxseed.
Other Nutrients Found in Flaxseed
Calories 55 kcal
Protein 1.88g(4% DV)
Carbohydrates 2.97g (1% DV)
Dietary fiber 2.8g(11% DV)
Health Benefits of Flaxseed
- It promotes healthier skin and hair.
Thicker eyebrows, Firm skin, Shrink pores, Hair growth, Stronger nails, Hair loss.
When applied to the skin: Flaxseed is possibly safe when used in a cloth on the skin.
- Reduced cancer risk
Flaxseed helps to reduce your risk of breast, colon, and endometrial cancers due to the lignans found in flaxseeds.
- It has Omega-3 Fatty Acids.
You do not need to eat fish to get Omega-3 fatty acids, ground flaxseed provides all that you need.
- It promotes weight loss.
- It is gluten-free.
- It promotes digestive health.
- It lowers your cholesterol.
- It has high quantities of antioxidants.
Flaxseed, a plant of the Linaceae family, cultivated for both fiber and seed, is cultivated for linen from fiber and for its nutritious seeds(oil, medicines, etc.).
Flaxseed is good for skin, hair, weight loss, and reducing cancer.
Species: L. usitatissimum
Binomial name: Linum usitatissimum